Code of Practice
This Code of Practice is a mandatory membership commitment given by members to BESA. Each member is expected, as a condition of Membership, to meet the ethical standards provided for in this Code of Practice in that Member’s relationship with the Member’s customers.
Code of Practice Values
Quality and Standards
- We will seek to achieve the highest standards and will offer our products, advice and services honestly and honourably in a fair and transparent manner.
- We shall behave in a professional manner and will respect the reputation of our sector and the other organisations with which we liaise.
- Our products are safe and suitable for educational use. We will endeavour to maintain and improve the quality of our work and meet or exceed minimum published Standards – both within the UK and in relevant international markets – for all our products and services, where these exist.
- We are committed to maintaining the highest degree of integrity in all our dealings with potential, current and past customers as well as other stakeholders.
- Everything we do as an industry will be with the aim of being in the best interests of learners, educators, parents and staff at educational establishments in the UK and across the world.
- We value our customers and promise a high standard of customer service and to deal promptly with any complaints.
- We will never offer any inappropriate financial or other inducement, including direct and indirect payments, offers of employment or substantial gifts or entertainment, to any person in an attempt to influence any decision-making process which may affect our organisation or our industry.
Transparency and Openness
- We are clear and precise about our identity and the nature of the products and services we are offering, and they will be fairly and properly described in advertising materials.
- We will be transparent about the costs and charges we make to our customers and these will be clearly stated in our T&Cs and the contracts we agree with them.
- We will use reasonable endeavours to ensure the truth and accuracy of any statements made or information provided to any third party in order to never knowingly make false or misleading claims or misrepresent the views of others.
Safeguarding and Data Security
- We will ensure all staff are aware of safeguarding issues, and will endeavour to comply with any educational institution’s safeguarding rules and regulations.
- We will seek to comply with all current and future data protection regulations in both the EU and the UK, and the relevant laws of countries we export to.
- We will seek to comply with the individual data sharing agreements of education institutions.
- We will strive to take reasonable care that all professional duties are conducted without causing offence on the grounds of gender, race, religion, disability or any other form of discrimination or unacceptable reference.