As part of their commitment to supporting currently disadvantaged learners across all phases of education, HfL are hosting our National Disadvantaged Conference online on Wednesday 17th January 2024, entitled “Better serving underserved learners”.
Join HfL alongside five expert keynote speakers, as they highlight and explore the significant and growing inequities between the educational experiences, progress, and attainment of learners from disadvantaged backgrounds and their more advantaged peers.
Meet the speakers:
– Lemn Sissay OBE FRSL, British author, broadcaster, official poet of the 2012 London Olympics and author of My Name Is Why.
– Jean Gross CBE, an education expert who has led many national initiatives aimed at improving the learning, attainment and wellbeing of disadvantaged children and those with special educational needs and disabilities.
– Dr Katriona O’Sullivan, Digital Skills lecturer at Maynooth University and author of Poor, a memoir about growing up as the child of drug addicts, abused, neglected and broken.
– Matt Jones OBE, Principal of ARK Globe All Through Academy. Contributor to the Timpson Review and founder of The Elephant Group charity, which helps children from disadvantaged backgrounds get into the top UK universities
– Sufian Sadiq, Director of the Teaching School, Chiltern Learning Trust. Sufian speaks extensively on issues of equity and is committed to alleviating poverty through education and empowerment of communities. He sits on the Management Board of the Luton Foodbank and Friends of Bright Eyes (a charity supporting learners with disabilities) and is a trustee of Working Options.
Through the Spotlight Talks they will share practical strategies for leaders and classroom practitioners to better serve underserved learners and to support schools, settings and trusts to close the disadvantage gap. Plus, panel discussions in between sessions provide time to reflect on what has been heard and experienced.
Better serving underserved learners is online from 9am – 4pm and costs £149 (excl VAT) for the first delegate per school (with subsequent delegates from the same school charged at £49 (excl VAT)).
HfL are holding the conference online to enable anyone to attend this high quality CPD without the need to travel and provide them with access to recordings for a further 30 days on demand.
For further information, including accompanying blogs and podcasts about the event and to book places, please visit: HFL Education | Disadvantaged Conference 2023: Better serving underserved learners.