HR Advisor (HFL Education)
Band 4: FTE £26,000 - £32,000 p.a (pro-rata)
July 14, 2023
HFL Education (Formerly Herts for Learning) is an award-winning provider of products and services to schools and educational settings within and outside Hertfordshire. We believe that every young person, through access to a great education, should be able to realise their potential, regardless of where they live or their circumstances. We focus on supporting the schools we work with to achieve successful long-term outcomes for their children. HFL is majority owned by Hertfordshire schools and operates with a not-for-profit ethos.
HFL’s HR & Recruitment Services work to support customers in delivering an excellent education for children by providing advice and support on solutions tailored to meet the needs of their setting. We are a friendly, diverse team split between the two main service areas of HR and Recruitment. Our HR Services team provides a range of services to schools, settings and trusts to support delivery of operational needs and strategic objectives and customers repeatedly buy back into our service year after year because of the depth of expertise and the high quality of the service we provide. We support our customers with a HR helpdesk, HR advisory service, strategic business partnering, mediation, investigation services, staff wellbeing, TUPE, bespoke HR consultancy services and training.
Due to team growth, we are seeking to recruit HR Advisors to join the HFL HR Service. The HR Advisor role sits in a team of experienced HR practitioners and provide an effective advisory service to customers. No two days are the same in this team and you will support Head teachers, Governors and Educational Leaders in managing HR issues from one off advice through to supporting more complex casework. The role will have an Employee Relations focus, but you will be involved with supporting HR matters across the full range of the employee life cycle including, but not limited to, pay and reward, disciplinary, grievance, restructure and more. The role holder will also have opportunity to will work across our range of HR products and services to support customers and internal needs as required.
• Base knowledge of UK employment law. (Essential)
• Base knowledge of HR best practice. (Essential)
• Knowledge of the employment life cycle and the impact and benefit of HR and people management at all stages. (Desirable)
• Experience in a HR role. (Essential)
• Experience of supporting others on HR policies and procedures. (Essential)
• Supporting Employee relations matters such as disciplinary, grievance, performance and absence. (Essential)
• Assessing customer needs and tailoring advice accordingly. (Essential)
• Supporting cases or projects from end-to-end influencing stakeholders to achieve desired outcomes. (Essential)
• Experience working as a remote or hybrid team. (Desirable)
Skills and abilities:
• Organisational skills and the ability to balance multiple priorities. (Essential)
• Comfortable in a busy environment. (Essential)
• Ability to adapt and is resilient through periods of change. (Essential)
• Good written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills. (Essential)
• A clear and engaging communicator with multi stakeholders. (Essential)
• Able to seek and make quick connections with customers to understand their needs and desired outcomes. (Essential)
• Able to balance working efficiently and effectively. (Essential)
• Willingness to learn, undertake professional study, and take personal responsibility. (Essential)
• Ability to think and act pragmatically. (Essential)
• Able to work at home, at HFL offices in Stevenage and to travel within Hertfordshire to attend customer sites if required. (Essential)
• Strong commitment to HFL Education’s mission, ethos and moral purpose.
• A growth mindset, always looking to improve how we operate. (Essential)
For an informal discussion regarding the role, please contact Ali Stevens or Louise Brace on 01438 544468 or at firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com, and provide your mobile no. so a mutually convenient time can be arranged.
To apply, email firstname.lastname@example.org with an up-to-date CV along with a cover letter detailing examples of the following criteria and the role you played:
• Experience of supporting others on HR policies and procedures
• Supporting with Employee relations matters such as disciplinary, grievance, performance and absence.
• Assessing customer needs and tailoring advice accordingly.
We are seeking to recruit team members on both full year and term time only (40 weeks per year) contracts. Please indicate on your cover letter if you are applying for the full year post, term time only post, or both. As part of our move towards eradicating unconscious bias within the recruitment process, we will be anonymising your forms. For recruitment queries, our Central Recruitment Team can also be contacted on the hfl.recruitment email address above.
To help HFL make sure our policies and working practices are inclusive and nondiscriminatory we would like you to complete the HFL equal opportunities form. This will not be stored with your application and will only be utilised by HR.
This job advert may close as soon as sufficient applications have been received. To make sure you don’t miss out on this great opportunity, please submit your application as soon as you can. Interviews will be taking place via Microsoft Teams.