£32,500 – £35,000
November 6, 2019
HR Advisor – Herts for Learning
Job ref: HFL1313
Hours: 37 hours per week
Salary band: Band 5: £30,000 – £35,000 p.a dependent on experience
Reports to: HR Manager
Team: HR Services
Location: Head Office – Stevenage
Herts for Learning Ltd (HfL) is the UK’s largest schools company. Developed from Hertfordshire Local Authority’s education services, the company is now owned and accountable directly to schools, which hold 80% of the shares, and with Hertfordshire County Council (HCC) owning 20% of the shares.
HfL provides trusted, inspirational and collaborative teaching, learning, leadership and business support to schools and education settings in Hertfordshire and beyond. With our not-for-profit ethos at the heart of what we do, we are dedicated to raising standards and improving teaching and learning, we work closely with schools to ensure that our products and services meet their continually changing needs.
Job context and Purpose of the job
Herts for Learning’s HR Services Team provides specialist HR advice and consultancy to over 500 schools, with approximately 20,000 staff. Schools repeatedly buy back into our service year after year because of the depth of expertise and the high quality of the service we provide.
We are looking for a new HR Advisor to join our team, to meet the growing demand for our service portfolio and to contribute to the development of the HR business into new areas.
Main areas of responsibility
The HR Advisor will be responsible for:
– Providing professional and consistent advice across a range of HR areas, including pay and performance, ill health, disciplinary, grievance and capability working closely with Head-teachers, Governors and school leaders
– Effectively supporting employee relations cases through to resolution, guiding compliance with ACAS guidelines and minimising exposure where possible to employment tribunals
HfL Job Outline – October 2019
– Maintaining excellent client relationships with schools and other key stakeholders, such as Trade Union representatives- Where necessary, working closely with legal representatives to ensure cases are managed in the most appropriate and professional way, minimising risk for the schools we serve.
-Providing advice on restructuring and redundancy and the TUPE process for affected schools and education settings where required.
– Keeping abreast of national policy changes, HR and employment law developments to inform practice and services within the team.
-Developing and delivering resources, and training and advice sessions for schools and settings to raise awareness of people management topics and help build capability in schools.
- School Business Management staff
- Trade Union representatives
- HR stakeholders in related areas eg Payroll providers, Herts County Council
- Legal representatives
- HFL colleagues e.g. School Effectiveness Advisors
The duties and responsibilities listed above describe the post as it is at present. The post holder is expected to accept any reasonable alterations that may from time to time become necessary.
HfL is committed to the aim of ensuring that everyone who applies to work for us receives fair treatment and we positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of age, disability, race, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, religion or belief, marriage and civil partnership and caring status. We expect all our staff to demonstrate a commitment to advancing equality of opportunity and fostering good relations.
Disclosure and Barring Service
This post may be subject to full pre-employment checks and is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974. Please note that additional information referring to the Disclosure and Barring Service is in the guidance notes to the application form. If you are invited to an interview you will receive more information.
Health and safety
It will be the duty of every employee while at work to take reasonable care for the Health and safety of themselves and of other persons who may be affected by their acts or omissions at work.
HfL Job Outline – October 2019
Intellectual property rights
It is a contractual requirement of all employees of HfL to protect the intellectual, property rights of the company and to adhere to our company policy with regard to IP.
Please provide a supporting statement outlining why you are applying and how you meet the criteria below;
With a proven track record of success in an HR generalist role, the ideal candidate will be able to display the following skills, experience and attributes:
– Commercially minded individual with proven experience in providing
professional and consistent advice to stakeholders across a range of HR
– Experience of operating in public, education or not for profit sector would be
an advantage but not essential
– Good knowledge of employment law, knowledge of Education sector
employment law an advantage
– Educated to degree level or equivalent
-Member of the CIPD, or equivalent qualification, or in the process of gaining accreditation
– Ability to demonstrate impact – engaging to influence a wide range of stakeholders
– Well-organised individual with ability to manage multiple cases at once
– Flexible team player
– Able to analyse complex information and make robust decisions, knowing when to seek further advice
– Able to use discretion and exercise professional judgement
– Strong commitment to Herts for Learning’s mission
– Ability to demonstrate Herts for Learning’s core values of Flexibility, High Quality and Learning
– Strong passion for delivering exceptional service
For an informal discussion regarding the role, please contact Ali Stevens at Alison.Stevens@hertsforlearning.co.uk or David Windridge David.Windridge@hertsforlearning.co.uk so a mutually convenient time can be arranged to discuss the role.
Please download and complete the HfL application form along with the supporting statement, explaining how you meet the requirements of the job outline and person specification. We would also love to hear why you are interested in becoming part of the HfL team.
To submit the application or to discuss any recruitment queries please email email@example.com or contact our Central Recruitment Team on 01438 843465.
Closing Date: Wednesday 6 November 2019 at midnight
Interview Day: Thursday 14 and Friday 15 November 2019