Operations Director – BESA
September 20, 2019
BESA is the UK’s trade association for education suppliers. Representing more than 80% of the UK education industry sector BESA plays a vital role in delivering effective lobbying, networking, market research and other business services to its growing membership group.
We are looking for two outstanding individuals to two new roles within BESA to help deliver the next stage of BESA’s success.
Contact Director General, Caroline Wright, Caroline@besa.org.uk to express an interest in the role. To apply for either post please provide a CV and covering letter outlining your interest in BESA, and experience and suitability for the position to the Director General.
Operations Director – BESA (up to 70k plus performance related pay element)
Location: London-office based
Operations Director – job purpose
Serves as a member of BESA’s senior leadership team reporting to, and supporting, the Association’s Director General. Leadership and oversight of BESA’s day-to-day operations and business processes.
Ensures efficient, effective delivery of all aspects of BESA’s operations, member services and events programme, infrastructure, and internal staffing, according to the strategic objectives of the Association.
Plays a lead role in building organisational capacity, developing and leading staff.
- Assists Director General and works as a member of BESA’s senior leadership team.
- Direction and oversight of all operational activities for the organisation.
- Reporting to the Director general and Executive Council on operational activities.
- Ensuring staff are clear on roles and responsibilities. Daily leadership of teams and workloads to deliver association’s key functions, goals and deadlines.
- Working alongside the Commercial Director as BESA’s senior leadership team reporting to the Director General.
- Ensuring a customer-first focus for the Association leading to consistent drive for excellent customer service for BESA’s members and stakeholders.
Organisation and management skills
- Identifying opportunities to streamline business processes and systems and drive organisational efficiencies.
- Translating the Association’s strategic plans into defined operational plans.
- Defining and monitoring performance management KPIs to ensure operational success against objectives, preparing budgets, schedules and other organisational reports as needed.
- Improving existing systems and policies.
- Oversight and planning of BESA’s market research programme and website development.
- Day-to-day oversight of BESA’s member services schedule, meetings, and activities.
- Restructuring business activities to increase speed and efficiency.Ensuring that BESA complies with all relevant corporate governance, Companies House, statutory obligations and returns associated with BESA’s trade association activities.
- Management of BETT Awards, Education Resources Awards, including judging, in partnership with other organisations.
- Accepts extra duties as situations and needs arise in a small, tight-knit organisation.
Operations Director key skills:
- Strong experience of managing teams.
- An inspirational leader with a track record for developing internal talent.
- Outstanding financial capability and skills. Strong experience of developing, managing and reporting on financial forecasts, budget planning and ongoing monitoring and reporting will be essential.
- Excellent track record of delivering outstanding corporate governance within previous roles.
- Experience of working within the education, or similar, sector would be desirable.
- A willingness to take on other roles as necessary.
Beyond this, the successful applicant will also be a strong fit within our organisation and have the ability to build and maintain relationships both internally and externally. To this end, s/he will need at all times to be:
- Highly motivated, results-oriented and have a clear focus on business growth.
- Positive in outlook with a willingness to support and aid colleagues and members.
- Passionate in offering the best quality of service possible to our membership.
- A natural forward planner who critically assesses his or her own performance.
- Credible with a professional demeanour, comfortable in dealing with people at all levels.
- A team player with strong and empathetic communication skills; having the ability to see things from all people’s points of view – both within the BESA team and when working with external parties.
- Well-presented, business-like and keen to gain new experiences, responsibilities and accountabilities as the organisation continues its growth.
- Tenacious and proactive, articulate and numerate and able to work both as part of a team and under his or her own initiative.